Tues., 5/16 7:30 PM “Charlie’s Aunt,” Riverfront Playhouse, 1620 E. Cypress
Thurs., 5/18 Letter Writing Template Sent
Fri., 5/26 7:00 PM Interfaith Prayer Vigil for Darfur and Nuba Mountains, Sundial Bridge
No Planning Meetings in June or July
Notes from 5/2 Planning Meeting
Announcements: Marv announced that Paul Jeffries is in Juba, South Sudan and asked that we pray for his safety and well-being.
Updates on the Latest News, Weekly CORE calls, and Actions were shared.
Of special interest was a statement by Ambassador Nikki Haley at the United Nations Security Council on April 4. “Helping the people of Darfur means that we need to see change. Above all the responsibility rests with Sudan’s government. We can–and should–reconfigure the mission to Darfur to make it more effective. But what will really bring peace to Darfur is holding the government accountable. Sudan’s leaders must disarm militias that still terrorize Darfur’s people. They must support UN peacekeepers and UN staff to accomplish their missions. And they must commit not just in words, but in deeds, to building sustainable peace for Darfur’s people.”
- Financial: Income of $894.32 reported with an additional $335 still to be deposited. Cascade Theatre and Riverfront Playhouse were paid. $1,084.06 (including $335) available for distribution. Debbie announced that we now must pay sales tax and will be taken out after point of sale. Profits from the sale of Heart of Nuba T shirts to date is $79.45.
- Marv expressed concern that corruption is siphoning off aid money from reaching victims of famine in South Sudan.
- T shirts: There are 8 men and 10 women Heart of Nuba t shirts. Noted that they mainly sell at “The Heart of Nuba” events. Discussed possible fall showings. Janet will contact schools, church in Red Bluff. (Contact Marv Steinberg if you would like to buy a shirt.)
- Marv reported that Dr. Tom Catina has been nominated for the Aurora Prize for Awakening Humanities. Four others have been nominated The winner will receive $100,000 in recognition of inspirational acts of compassion plus a one million dollar grant to further their work.
- Marv reported on a recent CORE Conference call in which concern about the condition of Christians in Sudan was expressed. In February the government called for the destruction of 25 Christian churches in Khartoum and church leaders have been harassed and arrested. The rule of law and the Constitution are not being followed. Policies of Islamification are being pursued with the intent of establishing one unified Islamic/Arabic culture.
- Agreed to send $1,000 to iACT for Adam, his family, and village when it is available.
- Decided not to meet in June and July.
- Approved final plans for “Charley’s Aunt Buyout”
- Evaluated “The Heart of Nuba” showings at Our Lady of Mercy Church and St. Joseph’s Youth Group. All three were lightly attended. Audience at AM Our Lady showing was very generous.
- Evaluated the Whole Earth and Watershed Festival. Noted that the event was well attended this year. We didn’t sell much but received some donations and several signed up for Emails.
Our Goals for 2016-2017
You can watch a recent reunion of Gabriel with Adam below. You can hear Gabriel telling Adam that the people of Redding care about him and Adam’s reply that he was so happy to hear that. Thanks to all of you who donated funds and have supported our activities during the past year. Genocide No More–Save Darfur has made a small difference in what is a tragic situation.
Questions? Contact Marv Steinberg